If you’re planning a move and have paintings hanging on the walls in your home, this article is for you! We know that paintings are valuable and hold sentiment for many people, so it’s important to protect them properly during a move.
If you hire the professionals at Texas State Movers, you can rest easy knowing your priceless art is safe in our hands. However, if you decide to go it alone, we’ve put together some tips to keep in mind during your move to help reduce the chances that your paintings become damaged.
If your paintings are oil on canvas, it’s important that the painting is completely dry before the move. Unfortunately, it can take up to half a year for the oil to dry all the way, so it does take some planning ahead. Once the painting is fully dry (of if you don’t need to worry about this step), you can begin packaging them up:
1) Buy high-quality packing supplies. You’ll need sturdy boxes and bubble wrap. Ensure that the boxes you purchase fit snugly but provide enough room for bubble wrap.
2) If any of your paintings have glass in the frame, make an X out of tape across the four corners to prevent damage to the painting in case the glass breaks during the move.
3) Wrap your paintings. If your paintings are in frames, leave them–it’s much more difficult to take them out and put them back in properly than to leave them assembled. Wrap each separate piece with non-printed newspaper, then wrap each peiece with bubble wrap. Be generous when wrapping, it’s better to use too much than not enough.
4) Next, tape cardboard around each piece, then slide it into a sturdy, fitted picture box. Be sure to write “FRAGILE” in large letters… better to be safe than sorry!
5) Carefully load your artwork into the moving truck. Try and secure them between items so they don’t go sliding around, and always set them down gently when loading/unloading.
If your paintings mean a lot to you, or if they’re expensive, your best bet is to hire professionals to help you out. Experienced movers can help pack and move your artwork (and other valuables) to ensure there’s as little chance as possible of damage occuring. You can also have them insured to ensure compensation if anything goes wrong. If you’re looking for reliable movers in the DFW area, including Plano, McKinney, Frisco, Allen, Melissa, Prosper, and more, give Texas State Movers a call at 214-320-1230!
Comments are closed.